So I know I have been adding very unhealthy recipes as of late for the upcoming Super Bowl. So, here is something on the healthy side! Who says a Super Bowl party can't be healthy in the first place?? This is a delicious and easy baked chicken enchilada recipe that is only 450 calories for two of them! It is topped with a light and refreshing onion and herb salad, enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 3 to 4 tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded muenster cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup mixed fresh parsley and cilantro, chopped
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeno, garlic, thyme and half of the onion. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook until the chicken is tender, about 6 minutes.
Remove the chicken to a plate. Transfer the cooking liquid and vegetables to a blender; add the tomatoes and allspice and puree with the lid ajar. Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the tomato mixture and cook until slightly reduced, 6 minutes. Pour into a baking dish.
Brush the tortillas with olive oil and put on a baking sheet; bake 5 minutes. Shred the chicken. Top each tortilla with chicken and cheese, then roll up and arrange in the baking dish, seam-side down, spooning some sauce on top. Bake until the cheese melts, 4 minutes.
Toss the herbs, remaining onion, and salt to taste. Sprinkle on top.